Welcome back to school! Teachers, are you looking for strategies to involve your students’ families more this year? Parents, are you motivated to stay connected and be a part of your child’s academic success? Boardmaker Software Family and AdapedLearning.com are two resources that will help both teachers and families work together to achieve a successful school year.
1. Use pictures or other multimedia to incorporate in activities created for use in the classroom.
Feature Highlight: Boardmaker Plus allows you to use digital images (any image format), movies (.avi, ,mpeg, .mpg”, or .wmv files)and sounds/songs/recordings (.wav files) on any activity!
• Parents, send in photos or videos from summer vacation so students can share with their teachers and peers about what they did over the summer.
• Parents, send in photos or videos of family members so students can introduce themselves to new teachers and peers.
• Teachers, make activities (printed or interactive) that include photos of the classroom, yourself and any other relevant school information so that students can share exciting back-to-school information with their parents and siblings.
• Parents, send in photos, movies or songs that may be reinforcing for your child. Knowing effective reinforcers for your child helps teachers develop any necessary behavior plans.
2. Use Boardmaker Software Family to encourage school to home and home to school communication.
Feature Highlight: Create print or interactive communication tools using Boardmaker Plus. You don’t have to start from scratch – a great collection of communication templates and forms are available at AdaptedLearning.com
• Remember that a note home isn’t just a way for the teacher to communicate with parents (and vice versa). If designed with symbols, it is also a tool for students to use visual supports to communicate with parents and siblings about their school day (or with teachers and friends about their evening or weekend).
• Use the Quick Record feature in Boardmaker Plus to record voice messages onto an interactive “note home”. This allows for easy on-the-fly messages to be included.
• Parents, consider using the Boardmaker Plus! Player (if you don’t have a full version of Boardmaker Plus) so you can play and practice on-screen activities that the teacher has created or downloaded from AdaptedLearning.com.
3. Use AdaptedLearning.com to create a Group for a school or classroom to share boards and connect!
Feature Highlight: Create a public or private Group on AdaptedLearning.com to share and connect between school and home or even between parents!
• Use your Group to share activities that have been created.
• Use your Group to have discussion with the teacher or other parents.
• Use your Group to share home-related activities and boards with other parents.
For additional ideas and resources please join us on our free Web Class, Create a Successful School to Home Connection with Boardmaker Software Family
September 11th at 4 pm EST and September 22nd at 7 pm EST. For more information and to register visit: http://www.mayer-johnson.com/education/training/online/